Request to Students: What Has Dr. Williams Done for You?

With all the news that’s come out recently with the school board and Dr. Williams, along with the hundreds of comments on the IndyStar Topix blogs, there’s been one question I’ve continued to key in on. Lots of people have said that Dr. Williams never put the kids first or asked the question of what he’s actually done for kids. Here’s my request.

If you’re a student, past or present, I’d love to hear examples of what Dr. Williams has done for you. These can be either personal experiences you’ve had with him, or maybe even programs that he was influential in putting in place that you were able to benefit from during your school years.

As I’ve done before, I’m only interested in positive statements from students. I’ll just delete anything else on this one. Go find another post or another website if you want to post negative comments here. I’d be particularly interested in hearing input from any student that was involved in the “Ragtime” play.

8 Responses to “Request to Students: What Has Dr. Williams Done for You?”

1. 1 Lauren May 17th, 2007 at 9:54 pm

By allowing Perry Meridian High School to produce the musical Ragtime last school year, Dr. Williams changed my life. Why anyone would have wanted to deny high school students the learning experience of a lifetime, I will never understand. As a member of the cast of the production, I can speak for most (if not all) by saying that I will never again view life from the position I did before the show. RAGTIME was one of the greatest victories in Dr. Williams’ term as Superintendent. Accusing him of doing wrong by allowing this show to be produced is a disgrace to all involved with this life-changing production.

Thank you and feel free to contact me with any questions- I would be more than happy to voice my opinion.

-Lauren
    PMHS Class of 2008

2. 2 Ethan May 17th, 2007 at 10:22 pm

I graduated from SHS in 1998. I’ve appreciated Dr. Williams’ leadership from my ealiest understanding of school politics and administration. The first time I really got to know Dr. Williams was in middle school, I was attending Keystone Middle School when a job shadowing day came up on the calendar. I asked Dr. Williams if I could shadow him and he graciously agreed. He took me out to breakfast with some of the local community leaders, since it was near the end of the school year he brought be along on some school visits, he gave me his undivided attention at lunch, and in the afternoon I was able to see his administrative side at his office. Because Dr. Williams took time for me, time that he really didn’t have to, I have felt free to contact him and drop by just to say hi at any time. How many students in other school districts can say the same about their superintendant, how many can even say they see their superintendant. My relationship with Dr. Williams continued into high school, most specifically as it was my job to cover the superintendant and school board for the school paper (I’m glad I don’t have that job now), he was always willing and eager to help out. Dr. Williams made me feel important. Why, because to him I was important. I know that any student could have that very same relationship with Dr. Willaims because that is just the kind of guy and leader he is…he cares. And I know that in the midst of all this he is still caring for the students first and foremost. Thank you Dr. Williams, you helped make my years in Perry Township great.

3. 3 Andrew Cala May 17th, 2007 at 11:11 pm

Well, I never met him personally but I can tell you that we’ve never had such a high number and concentration of fights during the school day as we have had whilst he was gone. I also think that things were not run nearly as smoothly as they could have been, although I do not want to specifically pinpoint anything for ostracision.

4. 4 Krissy Margason, PMHS class of 2006 May 18th, 2007 at 2:32 pm

More than a year ago, I was fortunate to be a part of something phenomenal. I took the stage for the last time at Perry Meridian High School as a proud member of the 2006 cast of Ragtime.

Throughout my years at Perry Meridian High School, I was involved in multiple extra-curricular activities and grew from the experiences in each one. I can honestly say that out of four years of hard in work in every organization and four performances on stage, the memories of “Ragtime” will be the ones that stay with me forever. I have those memories because of Dr. Williams.

I remember when I was younger I looked up and admired Dr. Williams so much, and I vividly recall deciding that I was going to make him proud when I ventured over to the high school. At every banquet or performance, he was there. At football or basketball games, he was also there. Dr. Williams was an extremely active man in our community, not because he had to be, but because he wanted to be. He wrote letters of recommendation for many students over the years, taking time out of his busy schedule to help kids have a chance at college scholarships. Dr. Williams was always chosen as someone to go to for a recommendation because he took the time to get to know so many of us. It takes a special person to be able to pinpoint certain characteristics about so many students and be willing and able to communicate those attributes when he thought it could be helpful in the attainment of a goal.

I will never forget the day that I heard about “Ragtime” being controversial. I was sitting in the school auditorium, listening to one of the big songs, “Wheels of A Dream” being rehearsed. I was just baffled at the idea of the show being cancelled. Our directors, the cast and crew all became very concerned. “Ragtime” wasn’t just another musical production to us. It wasn’t just another extra-curricular activity to perform for the community. This show had changed us, and we knew if we were given the chance, it would change our community. There was a school board meeting where we were all allowed to speak, and I believe about ten or more of us spoke at that meeting, encouraging the board to support our efforts. The next week, Dr. Williams showed up after a late rehearsal and spoke to us about the show. He asked all of us how we felt about going ahead with “Ragtime”. Once he saw our commitment to continue and our passion about the powerful message we wanted to share, he promised to stand behind us. He reminded us that we were strong and courageous, and told us he was proud of us.

The show went on, and we packed the auditorium every single night. Through the multiple standing ovations and rousing applause, we knew that the community understood the important lessons “Ragtime” taught. I was lucky enough to stand on the stage with Dr. Williams before every show with other cast members and talk with the audience about the controversies in “Ragtime”. Dr. Williams made a powerful statement, standing up on that stage before every show, making it clear to the community that “Ragtime” was going to impact our community for the better.

To hear that he is being questioned about not doing anything for students, or not putting kids first…is just ridiculous. To be honest, I can’t even begin to comprehend the idea of accusing someone like Dr. Williams of doing anything that is not in the best interest of students, teachers and the community. It is just absurd.

After being at college for a year, I still think of Dr. Williams often, and I know that to this day, if I ever needed anything at all - advice or another recommendation letter - he would be there for me. Many of my friends feel the same way, knowing he will always be happy to help us.

A former University of Notre Dame President once said, “The very essence of leadership is that you have to have vision. You can’t blow an uncertain trumpet.” In my opinion, Dr. Williams exemplifies this definition of leadership. He has strong vision, and fortunately for teachers and students in Perry Township, he has dedicated his life to education. He is an inspiration to all who truly know him!

5. 5 Emilie Robbins May 18th, 2007 at 3:57 pm

Knowing Dr.Williams both personally and professionally, I don’t think it’s possible to put in words all that he has done for me. He is the kindest, most hardworking, and respectful person I know, and most importantly, he cares for every single student in Perry Township. Putting him on leave has not just caused confusion in the school system, but it has divided the community, and is beginning to take it’s ripple effect on the number one priority in our township, us, the students. This schoolboard needs to get their actions together, and realize their mistakes, because it has, is, and will continue to effect the students of this township untill Dr.Williams is back.

6. 6 Aaron May 19th, 2007 at 10:11 pm

I was one of the many cast members of the musical production of RAGTIME at PMHS last year. I was then a senior, now graduated and going to IUPUI. When I had heard that there were actually people concerned with us doing the show I was amazed. Why wouldn’t people want to watch something that had so greatly impacted our past and future. Dr. Williams was one of the strong supporters of our RAGTIME production. I think that this was one of the most courageous thing that one individual could have done for his students. He stood up for something that the 70 some odd kids had been working at for about 2 months. We had put so much effort into making that show perfect and that was what was so mind boggling. People came in protest about 2 weeks before opening show. It was rediculous. Dr. Williams supported the desicion to start the show and at the end he was still there to stand up for what he thought was fair. This is why I support Dr. Williams today.

7. 7 Danielle May 20th, 2007 at 12:15 am

I am a PMHS junior and last year Dr. Williams allowed our school to perform the musical Ragtime. I feel that this was one of Dr. Williams greatest achievements in his superintendent career. So many lives were touched by this musical. Not only the viewers but most of all the students that were involved. I know that as people the students that were in this musical have grown so much because of it. I personally will never look at life the same as I did before the musical. There are so many lessons to be learned and accusing Dr. Williams for doing wrong for letting us perform is absurd! Not only did he just allow us to perform he gave us the choice if we wanted to continue with it. That showed me that adults and adults in power do actually care what the students think (which lately I haven’t felt). Dr. Williams came to our practices and encouraged us to do the best we could and would even sit down with some of us and just have a conversation. Dr. Williams and I had many talks that just made me feel that he truly cared for the students. Not only so he would look good at his job but because he really did care how we felt. Not only about musical but school, life, and any other tidbit he talked to students about. He is a great man and so saying that he had done wrong is preposterous and he should be allowed to come back because he truly does care about us students.

8. 8 Nicole Nathan May 21st, 2007 at 9:05 am

When I was collecting signatures for the SHS student petition for Dr. Williams, many students told me wonderful stories about Dr. Williams’ impact on them. In particular I had two people tell me that, Dr. Williams was personally involved in convincing them to stay in school. One girl told me that if it weren’t for Dr. Williams she would have dropped out.
    Nicole Nathan 2007 SHS GRADUATE!