Susan Adams - Board Member Bio (President)

The following information is taken verbatim from the MDSPT website. I’m including it on this site as a point of reference in case information should change in the future.

Susan Adams - MDSPT School Board PresidentContact Information:
7016 Hearthstone Way
Indianapolis, IN 46227-7806
Phone: 317-887-6752
E-mail: sadams@msddecatur.k12.in.us

Biographical Information:
Susan Adams is a graduate of IUPUI, where she majored in Elementary Education. She holds a Masters Degree from Indiana University in Counseling and Counselor Education. She is currently working on her certification in School Administration at IUPUI. Susan has worked in education for the past twenty years. She has been a teacher, a counselor, and is currently Director of Facilities in Decatur Township.

Susan is married to Larry Adams. They have three children, two daughters, Adrienne and Lindsey: both graduates of Southport High School, and a son, Alex, who is currently a high school senior.

Statement of Purpose:
My Mission as a School Board member is to make our schools the hear[sic] of our community. Educating everyone should be our vision. Education is a community responsibility and everyone should have a voice. All stakeholders should be included in the decision making process. The issues facing us in education are daunting. It will take the “village” to provide our students with the necessary educational skills to become productive and successful citizens of the community.

39 Responses to “Susan Adams - Board Member Bio (President)”

1. 1 Joe Mamma Nov 15th, 2006 at 12:00 am

I think Susan Adams did a great job. She has done what no one else has had the balls to do.

2. 2 Courtney A Worley Nov 15th, 2006 at 9:46 am

Ms. Adams wrote in her Mission of Purpose, “It will take the “village” to provide our students with the necessary educational skills to become productive and successful citizens of the community.”

Why is she ignoring the “village”? Aren’t I, a teacher, a member? Apparently not. Only 4 members of the village are deciding what is best for everyone without any consideration of the feelings of the people that this affects. Shame on you, Ms. Adams, for ignoring us. And shame on you for abusing your power.

3. 3 Courtney A Worley Nov 15th, 2006 at 9:50 am

I also have a comment for Joe Mamma. Have some class and don’t put inappropriate wording in a response. It’s not tolerated from the kids so I would expect better from an adult. But now I see where they are learning it. Perhaps this is why you chose an alias. . .

4. 4 refalconmom Nov 15th, 2006 at 8:51 pm

I am so disgusted to see that I live in the same neighborhood as you. You do NOT represent me, I did not vote for you, and you have certainly lost any future vote of mine. Anyone who steamrolls something through without constituent input is not deserving of my time or attention.

5. 5 Teresa Smith Nov 17th, 2006 at 7:18 am

I am writing my opinions as a parent with two children in the Perry School Corporation.

In my 20 years of professional experience and continued daily education that we receive from life, it is my experience that “Disappointment comes from unmet expectations. Unmet expectations come from lack of communication.”

My family and the thirty plus families that I have discussed the Board’s activity with are thoroughly disappointed and disgusted by the lack of communication that has been exhibited. Furthermore, we are disgusted by the abuse of power that the school board has exhibited.

The constituents were led to believe that we had three more years of stability with Dr. Williams. When a contract is renewed for three years, it communicates to all parties involved that the person has done their job and there is a strong belief that the person will continue to do his job. How can we not be disappointed?

I have served on multiple boards both in an advisory capacity and as a member since the early ’90s. I have never seen such a blatant disregard for protocol. Many times professional and not-for-profit Boards will pause to refer to a manual to make sure that the procedure was properly executed. Our Board seems to have thrown out years of procedures to take things into their own hands. The Board’s behavior and lack of respect for procedure have severly tarnished the Perry Township reputation. They have embarrassed our community. Their behavior is far reaching.

As a result of their actions:

Teachers that are educating our children are in a state of turmoil and unknown. Any business that loses its leader affects the employees. Whether you want to believe it or not, the Perry Township School Corporation is a business. It’s leader is not able to make decisions. We are losing ground every day. Even with an interim, that interim has to get up to speed. Does the interim have experience leading a school corporation? If not, let’s just thrown him into the fire and train him with one of the largest in the state.

A distraction has been introduced. Teachers are humans, too? If you do not run your own business, ask yourself the following quesiotns: If the head person of my business left and another person stepped in, would I have concerns? Would I function at my best? Would I be checking everywhere I could to get the information? I have faith and trust in the teachers educating my children. However, I have seen the concern in their faces and have heard what the top topic of discussion is.

Fiduciary responsibility!! As a CPA, this is my concern next to my children’s education. Where is the money going to come from? How much did this decision cost the school corporation — our business? This next statement isn’t literal — we are stockholders in this company. We invest money into this school corporation — our business — every year. How much of the constituents money did you just spend? If Dr. Williams has violated his contract, then, there is no cost associated with your decision. What are the factual reasons this decision was made? I firmly believe that if these actions were taken on a publicly traded company all board members involved would be personally liable. I believe that the constituents will need to find the following out: Although the actions may not be illegal, there are cases where you don’t do anything illegal and still are held financially accountable.

I have worked with over 100 Executives and CEO’s across the nation and Canada. The type of personality that allows a person to be a Top Executive or CEO is consistant with the complaints that I have read about Dr. Williams. A person that is able to lead a school corporation to the level that Dr. Williams has led this school corporation isn’t going to come in a “perfect package”. They often do have trouble communicating with their boards. It is difficult for them to exhibit the patience to come down off of their fast-paced schedule to communicate at the board level. The good news and the bad news is the same — they have the ability to be a school superintendant.

Community sponsors — There has been talk that people are pulling out their sponsorship. We will never know the negative financial impact that will occur.

Mrs. Adams states, “Education is a community responsibility and everyone should have a vote.”

My husband and I cast our vote — We SUPPORT Dr. Williams. More importantly, we cast our vote that we do not condone the actions of the board. We want procedure and professionalism.

6. 6 Constituent Nov 18th, 2006 at 10:08 pm

Direct quote from Susan Adam’s Bio…”My Mission as a School Board member is …Education is a community responsibility and everyone should have a voice. All stakeholders should be included in the decision making process. …It will take the “village” to provide our students with the necessary educational skills to become productive and successful citizens of the community.”

7. 7 Constituent Nov 18th, 2006 at 10:09 pm

Hmmmm…seems she needs to modify her Bio!

8. 8 Perry Teacher Nov 19th, 2006 at 9:03 pm

Mrs. Adams,
    If you will not change your mind about keeping our Superintendent, then at least have enough respect for Perry residents to give us good reasons why he should go. I have not heard any reasons from you, Mrs. Alexander, or Mrs. Thompson - And the reasons I have heard from Mrs. Walsh come nowhere close to warranting the dismissal of Dr. Williams.

9. 9 PM student Nov 20th, 2006 at 5:07 pm

I’m proud of you, Susan. I think your bio states it perfectly - you voted the way you did to represent the silent majority of this township! There are 90,000 people in this township, and I’m proud of you for realizing that the 500 who showed up at the meeting were not an accurate representation. God bless you!

10. 10 Beth Shipley Nov 20th, 2006 at 7:16 pm

Mrs. Adams:

I am very disappointed that you appear to not be listening to your “village.” If Dr. Williams is not doing a satisfactory job, then why are so many teachers showing their support for him? Why was he voted as Superintendent of the Year in 2004 [Editor’s Note: It was 2003 I believe]?Why were approximately 500 people at the last school board meeting, with the largest majority there in support for Dr. Williams? When other school systems are tightening their budgets and cutting out programs in “the arts,” why is Dr. Williams supporting “the arts?” Why has Dr. Williams spent countless hours talking to state legislators/news media about the flaws in “No Child Left Behind” and has asked for more school funding?

NCLB unfairly punishes schools whose special education population does not pass ISTEP at their age/grade level, not their functioning level. Most of our schools who did not make AYP are due to our special needs students not passing ISTEP. Dr. Williams has not berated the teachers, but instead encouraged us to do the best we can with what we have.

It was brought up at the last school board meeting that it was felt that Dr. Williams was withholding a receipt for $70 that a principal spent on an educational trip to Chicago. I understand about being concerned about budgets and appreciate this, but what about the thousands of dollars your board has and will spend hiring a new attorney, trying to buy-out Dr. Williams’s contract, and seaching for a new superintendent? In the big scheme of things, $70 seems very insignificant.

Rich Eskew suggested hiring a mediator and working out the differences between the board and Dr. Williams. I agree with him. Let’s show the students, parents, and staff of Perry how mature people who truly care about the education of Perry Township Students work together for the good of everyone.

11. 11 Admin Nov 20th, 2006 at 7:43 pm

To PM Student,

“realizing that the 500 who showed up at the meeting were not an accurate representation.”

Not an accurate representation? I guess not if you don’t consider the fact that if the “silent majority” really cared, they’d come out and support the board that’s speaking for them. If the “silent majority” really cared, would they let their “voices” on the board go through this with no visible support? If that’s the type of people that support me, I’d rather know I didn’t have any support.

12. 12 Perry Teacher Nov 20th, 2006 at 11:41 pm

To PM Student:
    First off, if you are indeed a PM student (and I have no reason to doubt that you are)….. I wish nothing but the best for you in your studies and future. However, I as a teacher have to disagree with your point that Mrs. Adams acted on behalf of the “silent majority.”
    To members of this so called “silent majority”:
    I encourage you to -
    a. not be silent anymore
    b. show your numbers and let us see that you are truly the majority ……..
    Until then, if all we see is hundreds (soon to be thousands) of people standing up for Dr. Williams, we’ll just have to assume that we are the majority AND we will be civil, but not be silent.

13. 13 Concerned Parent Nov 21st, 2006 at 12:56 am

I know that I am only one person of many in this township and my views might be different than some, but I felt I needed to share my thoughts. I have heard many hateful statements from both sides of this argument and it makes my heart very sad. I graduated from Perry and could not wait to raise my kids in this township. My husband, who is from another state, did not understand why I would not even look at houses outside of Perry. When I tell people that I have lived here all my life and they look surprised, I simply tell them that Perry is different. You will meet a lot of people that stay in the area after they are grown. They have just as much pride in our community as I have.

I am not here to bad mouth anyone. But for the first time, I am not proud to say that I am from Perry. This situation has brought out the worst in MANY, a few have been very civilized. Even as I read this page I am sad that the communication has gotten so bad between EVERYONE in the school system. I have had a hard time explaining this situation to my 3rd grader. She has asked many times “Why don’t they do conflict resolution? (a term that she learned in SCHOOL) The worst part is that I don’t know how to answer her. I am sure that both sides have done wrong but this situation is more than one standing one’s ground or someone not apologizing. Both sides need to admit that they have made mistakes (we all do that is what makes us human!) and come together to discuss the future of this township. As my daughter would say conflict resolution! This can not happen until EVERYONE is willing to openly communicate before the pride is lost for all.

14. 14 winter Nov 23rd, 2006 at 10:03 am

It is really frightening to watch Susan Adams in action. No emotion on that face, no compassion in that voice. Just a person on a mission. I hope that all of the dirty little secrets come out so we can see waht it is that has been so important to her and her bloc that they need to rip our township apart to solve.

15. 15 PM student Nov 23rd, 2006 at 11:43 pm

I recently heard someone say that the angry will always shout louder than the pleased. Maybe that’s why those in support of this decision were not at the board meeting. Or maybe they’re not in the group of people that got an email from Terry Rice or Gayle Houchin that day. Those who showed up were in this circle. Teachers. The Edison community. Williams’ followers. The majority of the township did not hear about this until the next morning, if not later. I’m not saying the majority was in support of the decision; I’m saying that you and I can’t use the crowd at the meeting as an accurate representation whatsoever.

16. 16 Perry Parent Nov 24th, 2006 at 4:30 pm

Well, everyone now has had a chance to hear about the board meeting this Monday, Nov. 27. We’ll see what percentage of people showing up support Williams and what percentage of people showing up support the decision by four people on the board. I predict that there will be way, way more people there supporting Dr. Wiliams. What will your excuse be then?

17. 17 a real MSDPT employee Nov 24th, 2006 at 6:59 pm

In response to PM student,
    First of all, I would love to see you show up and speak at the next meeting so that we can all see that you really are a PM student and then please tell us all what Dr. Williams did that makes you so sure that the 4 people tearing this township apart did the right thing.
    Next, did you ever stop to think why the majority of the township did not show up to that board meeting? Could it have been because they were unaware what was about to happen? Remember, the “4″ did not put it on the agenda until the day of the meeting. They were trying to pull a fast one. Now that everyone knows their agenda, please show up for or against and lets see who the “majority” really is.

18. 18 Kodie Nov 25th, 2006 at 10:53 am

Dear Perry Parent,

Yes, we all know about the meeting on Monday night.

Reply to Perry Parent:

Yes, there will be many, many DOUG supporters there. It’s unfortunate that those supporters will include a HUGE number of Perry Township employees, how many of these people are REALLY supporters of Doug Williams? And how many of them are TOLD that they have to be????? Here’s even a more disturbing thought, did you ever think that maybe many of these “supporters” are AFRAID to let their peers know how they really feel???

My hope is that with all of the publicity that has come from this that it just might bring out a large group of NON Perry Township employees and rather bring out more concerned Perry Parents.

Perry Parent, there are more NON-SUPPORTERS than you think……I strongly urge ALL of them to come out and let their voices be heard on Monday night.

I don’t think anyone needs an “excuse” to express their opinion.

19. 19 Richard Tuber Nov 25th, 2006 at 1:51 pm

Are we going to take out all of the teachers and principals that are forced to show up for fear of reprisals later.

I was at the last meeting. I saw a number of people that worked on some of the 4’s campaign to get them elected. I know for a fact that 2 employees of the district( I personally only know 5 employees of the district) do not support Dr. Williams, that’s 40% disapproval. But, Here’s the real scary part. The 2 private dislikers where right there giving him a stand OVATION.

RETRIBUTION- It goes along way. Your principal starts pressuring you to show support for the team.

Parents are afraid of it, too. My kid will be an outcast.

If I was on the board, I would ask for a re-election right now. Let the Four who made this decision be up for re-election next week.

Because you know what would happen. THEY would win, probably by a greater margin than before.

You know why????? Because you don’t have BIG BROTHER IN the voting booth with you. We have a woman at work that asked if me and another co-worker would sign a petition to have Dr. Williams reinstated(if she could get one?), I said, ” NO , that I will be waiting for the investigation results before I make my decisions” , expecting my counterpart to also say NO, since this is the talk of the week and he had told me he was in support of the board. He told her sure
    he would be happy to help her out.

When she left, I asked “what was up with that?” His response was, ” it’s not worth listening to her rant about this and that for the next couple of weeks.”

Again, Dr. Williams has done great things for this district, and they are a great foundation for the future, with or without him.

20. 20 A real MSDPT employee Nov 25th, 2006 at 10:28 pm

Repsonse to Richard Tuber,
    What a great idea. Have a re-election ASAP. Have all of the board members voted on again and see who wins.

21. 21 Perry Resident Nov 26th, 2006 at 12:20 am

I know many Perry teachers personally - and from what I am hearing ….. they are not afraid to speak out AGAINST Dr. Williams. They ARE afraid to speak out against the BOARD’s recent decision. Several teachers have told me “if these 4 women can do this to the superintendent, I’m scared of what they could do to me” - so I think Kodie is completely wrong about Perry employees and who is really scared of who.

22. 22 PM student Nov 26th, 2006 at 11:09 am

Are you kidding me? Every single passing period, I hear teachers talking about this situation. PMHS teachers aren’t afraid to speak out against the board. I told my parents that if I wasn’t a senior, I would want to be home-schooled for the rest of high school. The way this township’s educators have responded to this is pathetic, and it does nothing in the way of EDUCATING students.

23. 23 Yet Another Perry Teacher Nov 26th, 2006 at 11:10 am

Perry Resident- you hit the nail on the head.

24. 24 local teacher Nov 26th, 2006 at 5:26 pm

I am a Perry Township teacher. I have been for a long time. I am not afraid to stand up and say how I feel about the superintendent. I am also not afraid of the board. I do a good job, support my leadership and can look at myself in the mirror. The people I am afraid of are the ones like the woman who refused to cede the podium at the board meeting a few back, who ranted, raved, and screamed. And even more so, I am afraid of a board that allows itself to be run by one or two people. I am afraid of people who promote themselves one way and totally change their spots once they are seated. I would love to continue to follow all this, but I have too much to do to keep my kids where they are supposed to be according to Indiana and township standards. Settle all this so I can go back to doing my job.

25. 25 Chicago Professional Nov 26th, 2006 at 8:14 pm

PM Student, if you would like to remain a mystery, do not post the same comments on here that you are posting on Facebook alongside your picture.

26. 26 Teresa Smith Nov 27th, 2006 at 10:17 am

Isn’t it amazing that we educate our children daily to not fall to “peer pressure”! “Just say no to drugs.” “Walk away.”

Yet, there are so many posting that say that people are afraid to stand up to their peers. Their afraid of being outcast. Their afraid of losing their jobs. “Standing by your principles only means something when it isn’t convenient.”

Let’s start setting a good example. Stand up and let your voice be heard. Don’t cave to peer pressure. Don’t worry about what your neighbor thinks.

I am not a Perry employee, teacher, administrator, etc. I am just a taxpayer that has children attending Perry. We chose to go regular school route.

I have spoken with 75 people since the board’s actions. I have encouraged people to give me their opinion. I respect that everybody has opinions. If you listen to someone’s opinion, you might just learn something. Only one person said that they were happy to see Dr. Williams leave. I thought — finally — I’ll get some insight. They indicated that it was a personal dislike of Dr. Williams. They didn’t like the way he handled a situation. They even admitted that it wouldn’t be grounds to fire him, but they just didn’t like him after that. Everyone stated that they thought the board acted inappropriately including the person who didn’t support Williams.

Of all of the families that I polled, only two families were Edison school families.

I polled Southport and Perry Meridian families, educators, administration, cafeteria workers etc. I polled High school students. I polled taxpayers that don’t have students at Perry.

I spoke to two area superintendents who admire and respect Dr. Williams. They stated that it is unfortunate that the majority of the population doesn’t understand the power that the school board can take into their own hands.

I’m continue to do my fact finding. I’m trying to find out why Dr. Williams needs to leave. I’m trying to understand what the board has done. All of my information that I have gathered doesn’t support what the board has done.

Don’t cave to peer pressure. Let your voice be heard. It is okay to have different opinions. The world would be a very boring place if we didn’t have opposing beliefs.

27. 27 PM student Nov 27th, 2006 at 11:36 pm

If you are a “Chicago Professional,” what on Earth are you doing on Facebook???

Let me just say that many of the adults of this township are acting more petty than the high schoolers. Completely ridiculous. Get me out of this township.

28. 28 Concerned Student Nov 28th, 2006 at 10:57 pm

If you are so eager to leave, take your mother and the other three with you!

29. 29 Chicago Professional Nov 28th, 2006 at 11:11 pm

PM Student, parents, future employers, etc. can access Facebook if they would like to get information on a prospective student, employee, whatever. This is an issue that I would advise students handle in a mature fashion, and, could be a good example to the adults as well.

30. 30 PM student Nov 30th, 2006 at 4:53 pm

Surfing Facebook groups sounds like a great tool for staff development. How professional. I find it comical that you insinuate that I have acted immaturely.

31. 31 School Administrator Dec 7th, 2006 at 2:59 pm

Why do you “job hop” Ms. Adams??????????????

32. 32 Mike Adragna Dec 16th, 2006 at 11:12 am

I don’t know any of the board members or Dr. Williams personally. I really don’t pay much attention to the monthly meetings of the board because I know that much of what the board is supposed to do is, to be blunt, boring.
    This stuff going on now though, its soap opera at its best. He said, she said, they said. Come on. So a guy didn’t turn in his voucher on time, so what if a board member got elected and changed her mind about what she was elected to do. This whole thing is blown so way out of proportion it’s not funny anymore. Mediation by an outside source is really the answer. If the board has a real beef , it will come out. If Doug Williams is really taking our township down. It will come out. But, if not, that will also come out. I have a sneaking suspicion that the board doesn’t want that to come out.
    I have no personal dog in this hunt, my 5 kids have attended Perry schools since my oldest was in fourth grade, and now she is a teacher looking for a job in Perry Township full time. I have a son still in high school here. You know what he says, “Hey dad, we were coming out of basketball practice and a bunch of protesters were standing outside the school holding up signs” A bunch of protesters. Thats what the kids see. What concerns me the most is that a bunch of protesters will do something that ordinary citizens one on one would not do. Mudslinging and threats and taking firm stands not knowing the real facts will follow you all a lot longer than you think.
    In conclusion, I just think we should keep our contract with a guy that our representatives signed, get an outside group or person to look at the complaints, and then press onward to making our system the best we can. It will be flawed, after all its run by humans. No one is above reproach. Not me or anyone else. Working together, even when you don’t particularly like someone, will get more done than hunkering down with your own limitations, and then falling short of the real goal. Educating our children the best we can to go out into the world, the cold cruel world , and fight the good fight. Tnanks for this site.

33. 33 James W. Maier Dec 19th, 2006 at 1:27 pm

DING DING!!! Hello, fellow Orange Supporters!
    Adams has all the authoriy in the world as she can do anything. SECURITY, ESCORT HER OUT!!! In the flip of a wrist, she can get people out. The Queen, eh? Yep she is. I am a student in 8th Gr. at Southport Middle School. She would not let me speak due to a “misunderstanding”. No. I signed in and listed my reason for speaking, “Support of Doctor Williams (students*). She also would not let Sergeant First Class Brett Naum speak. He was wearing his uniform. A man who fights for this form of democracy could not speak about it. Crazy!!! Fanatical board members need lives away from degrading Dr. Williams and not letting military personnel speak at meetings. God have mercy on Perry Township!
    —James William Maier——–8th Grade Student @SMS
    myspace.com/jwm93
    hunterfisher22@aim.com

34. 34 Lack of Leadership Dec 20th, 2006 at 12:32 am

Has anyone else noticed how the two minute time allotment is strictly administered by Mrs. Adams when people who support our superintendent or question her and Walsh’s action are making their remarks? However, when someone speaks out against Williams or defends the gang of four, the two minute rule flies out the window. This is no way to earn the respect of fair minded people. It is just another example of a lack of leadership and a lack of respect for her constituents.

35. 35 Ken Dec 20th, 2006 at 3:52 pm

Lack of Leadership,

Thank you for pointing that out. I would say that the 1 and only thing the leadership of the current school board is consistent with is their inconsistency. It is proven that 2 minutes is longer for those that agree with the agenda of the majority of the board than those that do not agree. If you are given 2 minutes, 2 minutes you have…unless you receive the disgusted look from the current president of the board at which time you will be met by a person in a brown suit with a star on their shirt or jacket and a gun on their side. We now know their definition of intimidation……sorry, I meant mediation.

36. 36 PMHS student Dec 20th, 2006 at 8:36 pm

who the heck is joe mama?!

37. 37 William Walsh Feb 19th, 2007 at 11:08 pm

First off I am not realted to Nancy, Thank God.

Secondly, my wife and me are new move ins to Perry and we have two sons.

If I would have know that Perry TWP was in this amount of turmoil, I would have moved somewhere else.

That being sad, after everything I have read and investigated, it seems these four “ladies” are basically a Gang of Four we a penchant for not getting along with men.If they really HAD something on Dr. Williams, they would have fired him already. Give me a break, $700 on tenderloins is the best you got?

We are putting our house up for sale this spring and will move to Center Grove. I will be the soothsayer and tell you, notice Mrs. Adams is going back to school to get her admin license, she wants Dr. Williams job.

1. 1 New special-ed test urged at Citizens in Support of Dr. Williams Pingback on Nov 20th, 2006 at 8:56 pm
  2. 2 Conflict Resolution at Citizens in Support of Dr. Williams Pingback on Nov 21st, 2006 at 8:26 am