Steve Maple - Member (Board Member Bio)

The following information is taken verbatim from the MDSPT website. I’m including it on this site as a point of reference in case information should change in the future.

Steve Maple - MSDPT School Board MemberContact Information:
6403 Quail Creek Blvd.
Indianapolis, IN 46237-2949
Phone: 317-787-7013
E-mail: smaple@uindy.edu
Â
Biographical Information:
Steve Maple returns to the Perry Township School Board after having served from 1992 until 2004. During his earlier tenure, Maple received the honor as Indiana School Board Member of the Year for 2004, and the MSDPT Martin Luther King “Living the Spirit” award.

He is the Fitzwater Chair of Business at the University of Indianapolis, where he has taught since 1975. Maple teaches business law, tax, labor law, school law, and microeconomics. He has been named teacher of the year and United Methodist Universities and Colleges exemplary teacher. His law practice involves estate planning and probate.

Steve Maple graduated from Indiana Central College (University of Indianapolis) majoring in history and political science in 1966; Indiana University School of Law, J.D. (1969); Pacific Lutheran University, M.A. in history (1975); Southern Methodist University School of Law, LL.M. in taxation (1982).

Steve is the author of The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Wills and Estates, and The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Law for Small Business Owners, as well as over fifty book reviews and articles for the Indianapolis Star, Indianapolis News, Indiana Lawyer, and Southside Times.

His family includes wife, Sarah, who is director of the children’s center at Southport Presbyterian Church, and sons Ted, director of United Way’s “Success before Six”, Josh, associate director of a Ft. Wayne YMCA, Ethan, a United Methodist minister in Milltown, Indiana, Zach, a graduate student at Chicago School of Psychology.

Statement of Purpose:
To provide the support and encouragement to our students, faculty, staff, and administrators to nurture learning.

20 Responses to “Steve Maple - Member (Board Member Bio)”

1. 1 Joe Mamma Nov 15th, 2006 at 12:08 am

I am mostly shocked by you. Knowing Sarah (wife) she is a very classy lady. I can’t believe she is married to you.

2. 2 refalconmom Nov 15th, 2006 at 8:56 pm

Joe Mamma, you need to raise yourself up above the muck that is being thrown. If you have something constructive to say, please do, but let’s all just stop throwing mud.

3. 3 Jo Nov 15th, 2006 at 11:26 pm

Who is Joe Mamma?

4. 4 Perry Teacher Nov 16th, 2006 at 11:21 pm

Thank you, Steve.
    It is great seeing you at Board meetings standing up for the majority of Perry Twp. and trying your best to stop the destructive actions of those sitting on your right.

5. 5 Perry Resident Nov 26th, 2006 at 12:13 am

I am looking forward to hearing Mr. Maple’s ideas of mediation between the board and Dr. Williams. Maple seems to be rising above the pettiness and actually working to solve problems …… step up, Mrs. Adams. You too, Mrs. Walsh. Your pride is standing in the way of what is in the best interest of Perry twp.

6. 6 Beth Shipley Nov 27th, 2006 at 3:08 pm

I am very happy to read in the November 22 edition of The Southside Times, that Mr. Maple is calling for more mediation to bring the board and Williams back together. I only hope your efforts, Mr. Maple, do not fall on deaf ears. Thank you for your efforts and support of Perry Township Schools.

7. 7 Frustrated Nov 27th, 2006 at 9:52 pm

Nice try, Steve. Your idea of mediation made sense. I wish the “gang of four” would work with you. They are frustrating many, many involved stakeholders in our schools. I don’t see how any of them will be re-elected after all of this mess they have created.

8. 8 A real MSDPT teacher Nov 28th, 2006 at 6:18 pm

I think they know better than to even try to run again. They are in there to get their revenge and then they’ll be gone.

9. 9 Denise Nov 28th, 2006 at 10:46 pm

I don’t see how any of them will have the energy to run again after the beating they’ve taken from this community. You all beg to be listened to - but are you really listening yourselves? These ladies aren’t lying to you.

10. 10 A real MSDPT teacher Dec 2nd, 2006 at 10:32 am

Response to Denise,
    What could they be lying about, they haven’t told us what Dr. Williams has done to warrant being put out of his job. Please tell us what he has done so we can see for ourselves if they are lying or not.

11. 11 Let's Think About This Dec 4th, 2006 at 11:39 pm

If you got fired from your job, would you want the reasons for your firing to be made public? I think not. This is a personnel issue. Unless I’ve missed it somewhere, I don’t think Dr. Williams has asked that the reasons for his termination be made public. Until he does so I don’t think anyone else has the right to demand that they be informed.

12. 12 Ken Dec 5th, 2006 at 11:36 pm

I think we need to get something straight. Dr. Williams has not been fired. He has not been terminated. He is on paid administrative leave.

13. 13 SFC Brett Naum Dec 8th, 2006 at 7:15 am

Denise,
    The failure to disclose any facts regarding their decision to suspend Mr. Williams can be viewed as “lying”. Not only that, their professionalism is in question in how this matter was dealt with. What are they hiding? To be fair, I emailed both Mrs. Adams and Mr. Maple and did not receive a reply. I have spoken with many parents and teachers regarding this situation and the mass majority do not support this board’s decision nor their conduct. I do believe that IF their reasons are truly valid, and they were communicated to all, that they would have no problem receiving support. I have yet to be to a board meeting but am looking forward to attending soon. I had better get some answers. My expectation of this board and it’s members is that they represent ALL of Perry Township and that EVERYONE in this township has a voice. Remember my name folks: Brett Naum, an active duty soldier with plenty of leadership experience to ensure that this never happens again. I may have to run next time to clean house and upgrade the current standards which are lacking in the professional arena.

14. 14 Denise Dec 9th, 2006 at 11:51 am

They have disclosed some facts. Minutes of Board meetings are public information, and I suggest that those who have not attended meetings look to those instead of rumors. “Let’s Think About This” is right; this is a personnel issue, and I wish community members would be patient enough to let things get worked out between those who were hired or elected to deal with it. Teachers should go on teaching, and parents should go on parenting. Stand up and speak at Board meetings if you so desire, but the Board has made its decision. Personally, I will sit back and wait for the facts to come out in due time. Our kids are still being educated, so I don’t see a need for an uproar.

15. 15 SFC Brett Naum Dec 10th, 2006 at 9:20 pm

Denise,
    As a professional, I never use “rumors” to base my opinions on. I am a master at research and have read the minutes. What I found in those minutes were simply accusations. Simple as that. Again, I have to ask: What is Mrs Adams and her supporters hiding? If they have some valid facts then they MUST provide them. They work for me, Joe Taxpayer, and I had better get answers when I ask. I do not have a problem with the suspension of Dr. Williams if there are valid supporting facts to support this move. I do have a problem with it being handled in a completely unprofessional and unethical manner. The scariest part is that these same individuals are involved with the education system! What a pathetic example for this community and their own children. If their conduct continues I will guarantee to place every effort possible in having them removed from this board. I also favor a lawsuit on behalf of this community against each individual. If anyone knows what this process involves then feel free to email me at brett.naum@us.army.mil. I will gladly assist every way possible.

16. 16 RSM Dec 12th, 2006 at 12:18 am

Denise,
    In regard to your comment above on November 28, “These ladies aren’t lying to you.” Denise, these women HAVE lied! They misquote and twist words continuously and repeatedly!

Susan Adams lied on a public radio broadcast and told people that her husband was ‘fired’ because of all of this. THAT IS A LIE! He didn’t lose his job.

Nancy Walsh lied/misquoted/twisted the words of Dr. Williams in a meeting at Rosa Parks-Edison that Nancy sneaked into and hid.

Nancy misquoted/twisted facts in her email response.

Susan Adams lied to Board Members and the public at a previous Board Meeting when Steve Maple asked Susan if the intent of bringing in a new lawyer was to get rid of Dr. Williams.

There are many other examples.

Hmmmm….and YOU say “these ladies aren’t lying to you”. Riiiiiighht

17. 17 Student Dec 12th, 2006 at 6:48 pm

Dr. Maple is one of the best professors that I have ever had. I must say he is highly arrogant but I think most of it can be backed up! Great man…

18. 18 Concerned Citizen Feb 14th, 2007 at 10:46 am

I’ve browsed through this website as well as the one supporting the ousting Dr. Williams. I live in Pike Township, where we have a board that supports what the community believes. I do not believe a school board should put their own beliefs above those of the communities. I am shocked to see that they have that much power. I am posting under Mr. Maple’s page because he seems to be the most legitimate voice of the people, perhaps it is because of his education and background. If we all viewed this from an economic perspectvie, the ratio of energy expended and produced is ridiculous. Let’s get back to the basics, and put the children first. Actions speak louder than words, and if we, as adults can’t show them a good example of how a community and society should act, then what good will the words that we teach them in schools do? Good luck.

19. 19 PerryTwnshp Tax Payer Feb 14th, 2007 at 12:01 pm

Earth to Ken - His contract will not be renewed. He is out.

20. 20 David C. Lannan Oct 5th, 2007 at 10:55 am

Just wanted to commend Dr. Maple for his attempts at keeping things from getting any more out of control than they were. If there is anyone on this board right now that I would vote for president, it would be Steve.